Business License

General business license informationThe Finance Department issues Yuba City Municipal Business Licenses. Questions regarding business licenses can be directed to the Customer Service division, located in City Hall, or by calling (530) 822-4618. Applications can be done online through the link below, or by submitting documents to Customer Service. If your business is located in the City of Yuba City, your application will need to be submitted to the Planning Department for zoning approval. Forms and information can be found below. 

The cost of the Business License is calculated based on gross receipts (depending on category) in addition to an annual administrative fee. However, there are some categories that have flat fees, such as licensed contractors pulling permits in Yuba City and transportation businesses.

A new Business License is valid from the start of the business to the end of the calendar year. Business License renewals are valid for one calendar year, January to the end of February.  Renewal affidavits are mailed out to active licenses at the end of January every year. 

New Businesses:

Click Here to Apply or Renew online - Online Portal

Check out these helpful documents, to assist you with your new business application: 

Checklist of items to consider when planning a new business

  • Correct Zoning
  • Appropriate Building
  • Adequate Parking
  • Tenant Improvements (permit required)
  • Signs – either new or changes (permit required)
  • Hazardous Materials (Building Dept., Fire Dept., County Hazardous Management Division)
  • Fictitious Business Name (County Clerk)
  • Sellers Permit/Resale Number (State Board of Equalization)
  • State Tax ID Number (Internal Revenue Service)
  • Food Handler’s Permit (County Health Department)
  • Any Special Federal, State or County Permits and/or Licenses which pertain to your business
  • City Business License (Required in each City where you conduct business and at each location within the City)
  • Industrial Wastewater Discharge Permit
All businesses operating in the City of Yuba City are required to have a business license – including businesses that operate from home.


  • Business licenses are approved for a specific location
  • Any move (change of address) will require a new application and review by appropriate departments
  • A license is issued to a specific owner
  • Change in ownership requires a new application
  • Some business types will require special approval or permits; see table below.
Special Approval/Permits

  • Ambulances
  • Auctioneers
  • Auction Markets
  • Billiards
  • Bingo
  • Cabaret
  • Check Cashing Services
  • Food Services (including catering trucks)
  • Taxi Service
  • Manufacturing Facilities
  • Food Processors
  • Gun Dealers
  • Limousine Services
  • Massage Parlors
  • Massage Technician
  • Pawn Brokers
  • Private Security Service (Patrol)
  • Restaurants
  • Special Events
  • Businesses subject to National Categorical Pretreatment Standards
  • Tattoo and Microblading
Processing Time

  • Depending upon the type of business you are opening, your processing time may be 10 minutes or up to 10 days. For example, new commercial businesses in new commercial buildings need zoning, fire, planning, and code enforcement clearance. Established businesses from other Cities conducting business in our City can have their licenses processed within 10 minutes, under most circumstances.

  • 2023* Standard Base Service Fee/Administrative Fee - $55 per year, plus the following:
    • SB 1186 Fee - $4.00 per year
Under federal and state law, compliance with disability access laws is a serious and significant responsibility that applies to all California building owners and tenants with buildings open to the public. You may obtain information about your legal obligations and how to comply with disability access laws at the following agencies: The Division of the State Architect at The Department of Rehabilitation at The California Commission on Disability Access at

  • 2023* Contractor Service Fee (Licensed through California as a contractor) - $55 per year.
    • Contractors must report on their total gross receipts, less any gross receipts reported on Yuba City building permits. Gross receipts will be taxed at the service tax rate on the business license. 
  • 2023* Transportation Service Fee - $51 for first vehicle, and $47 for each additional vehicle per year.
  • Tax Rate Classifications: (reported annually on Renewal Affidavit)
    • Manufacturer, Administrative Headquarters, Retail, and Wholesale businesses are taxed at $0.22 per thousand dollars of gross receipts per year.
    • Rental Residential Property, Rental of Non-Residential Property, Services, Contractor Services, Recreation and Entertainment businesses are taxed at $0.44 per thousand dollars of gross receipts per year.
    • Professional businesses are taxed at $0.77 per thousand dollars of gross receipts per year.
Fees update annually. Be sure to check with the business license staff if you do not see current year information posted.  

License Renewals:Renewals have never been easier! Create an online profile here - Online Portal - to start accessing your license with more ease, and process renewals online. Let us know when you're registered and we'll get your existing license linked. 

Renewal forms are processed in January, and are due by March 31st to avoid penalty. Renewal forms will be mailed to the mailing address on file for your license. Email notification is also sent to the primary contact listed on the license.

  • Licenses must be renewed annually
  • Failure to renew will result in penalties
Fictitious Business Statement

California law requires that every person who regularly transacts business for profit in the state under a fictitious name must file and publish a Fictitious Name Statement. If you use you surname as the name of your business (and the business name does not suggest the existence of additional owners), you do not have to file a Fictitious Business Statement.

Filing a Fictitious Name Statement

  • Fictitious Name Statements are applied for and processed in the Sutter County Clerk’s office, located at:
433 Second Street
Yuba City, CA 95991
(530) 822-7120

  • The fee for filing a Fictitious Business Name Statement is $30.25* for the first name including one owner on the statement, $5.00* for each additional business name and / or owner on the same statement at the same location. Abandonment or Withdrawal of a Fictitious Name is $34.00*. The filing fee includes one certified copy. Additional certified copies are $2.00*. Make checks payable to the Sutter County Clerk. Publication fee will vary with newspaper.
  • The Fictitious Name Statement expires five years from the date of filing, 40 days after any change in fact (except change of address of individual, general partner or trustee), or upon abandonment of name.
These are Sutter County fees. Please confirm amounts with that agency - Sutter County Fees

Miscellaneous Information: Assembly Bill 3002 went into effect on January 1, 2019, which provides information regarding disability access requirements and resources to business owners. To read the full notice please click on the notice in preferred language below:

Who to Call for Help:City of Yuba City

  • Business License - (530) 822-4618
  • Code Enforcement - (530) 822-4703
  • Building Department - (530) 822-4629
  • Fire Department   - (530) 822-4687
  • Planning Department - (530) 822-4700
  • Utilities Department - (530) 822-4639
California Department of Tax and Fee Administration - has specific information about the programs they administer. - is a comprehensive website that assists business owners.

State Departments

Alcoholic Beverage Control
2400 Del Paso Road, Ste. 155
Sacramento, CA 95834
(916) 419-1319

Board of Equalization
450 N Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
(800) 400-7115

Sutter County

Health Department
1130 Civic Center Blvd, Yuba City, CA 95991
(530) 822-7215

County Clerk
433 Second Street, Yuba City, CA 95991
(530) 822-7120

Federal Departments
IRS Taxpayer Service

1-800-829-4933 (Businesses)

1-800-829-1040 (Individual

For more information on obtaining
a Yuba City Business License, contact us:
(530) 822-4618

Business Emergency Contact Info
Doc app

Document Center

The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.

Categories always sorted by seq (sub-categories sorted within each category)
Documents sorted by SEQ in Ascending Order within category

Miscellaneous Information7 documents

  • AB3002Notice - English
    document seq 0.00
  • ab3002notice_SpanishP
    document seq 0.00
  • AB3002Notice_TagalogP
    document seq 0.00
  • AB3002Notice_VietnameseP
    document seq 0.00
  • AB3002Notice _KoreanP
    document seq 0.00
  • AB3002Notice_ChineseTraditionalP
    document seq 0.00
  • AB3002Notice_ChineseSimplifiedP
    document seq 0.00